Saturday, July 10, 2010

What are the average rental rates for apartments in downtown Montreal?

I'm a student living in downtown Montreal, currently in a 4 bedroom apartment for $525 a month including all utilities. I go to McGill and just moved to St Denis and Ontario.





Now, according to a couple of Montrealers that I've talked to, this rate is apparently expensive.





Could anyone give me the average montly rents for apartments and what a Montrealer would consider a good deal? Might be good to keep in mind for future years.





Thanks!What are the average rental rates for apartments in downtown Montreal?
Are you there alone or sharing rent with roomates? For $525, to get a 4-bedroom apartment downtown or the Plateau region, that is excellent in my opinion. I would have expected much higher than that, but you may be getting it at a lower rate if it is considered a student residence, shared apartment, or because of the volume of traffic from students and the football games nearby.





I know someone who was paying $700 for a 2 1/2 at St. Marc and De Maisonneuve (essentially downtown), and another friend was renting a 4 1/2 in Verdun for $550 about three years ago. I would have thought St. Denis and Ontario would be more expensive.





My only suggestion would be to get to know your neighbours and see what they are paying to get an idea of the going rate in your area.What are the average rental rates for apartments in downtown Montreal?
Based on your added note: 4 X 525 = $2100 per month - That does seem to be a bit higher than I would expect for that area, but it is a supply and demand issue. I would have though around $1800 for a 4-bedroom apt.

Report Abuse



I think that price is really good for downtown Montreal, unless that 525 gives you a really manky apartment. I am paying 485 without utilities near the PepsiForum, which I think is really good. I mean, most places downtown are at least 600 for a pretty poor place for one. Of course you can get cheaper, but one should always feel comfortable at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment